I love chocolate chip cookies. When it’s cold and nasty out there’s just something about a warm chocolate chip cookie with a glass of milk or hot cocoa when you’re curled up with a book and a blanket, don’t you think?
I whipped up a batch last week and a few of you were asking for my recipe, so here she is! This one’s a mish-mash of all the recipes I’ve tried and I like it because it’s simple and not terribly precise: if you’re short on something or throw in a little too much of something else, chances are you’ll be just fine. Let’s get started!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (550 mL)
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 cup unsalted butter (250 mL)
3/4 cup granulated or turbinado sugar (175 mL)
3/4 cup light brown sugar (175 mL)
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (10 mL)
2 cups semi-sweet Chocolate Chips (500 mL)
1. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In one bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl (or a stand mixer if you're got one) beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar
and vanilla until creamy. Add the eggs and beat well.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well. Stir in the chocolate chips,
5. Drop onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. I like using an ice cream scoop to make sure the cookies all turn out about the same size.
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie
sheet to wire rack. Leave some time to let them cool them eat 'em up!
Makes about 3-5 dozen cookies depending on how big or small you like them.
other neat stuff you can try
Want to switch things up? Let's do it! Here are a few super easy changes you can make:
For a sweeter, creamier cookie, swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for milk chocolate chips
Try a mix of 1 cup milk chocolate chips and 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Try using 1 cup Skor toffee bits and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Try using 1 cup peanut butter chips and 1 cup milk chocolate chips (I die)
Add up to 1 cup of any kind of nuts you like. Chopped hazelnuts are my fave.
Use 2 cookies and a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make yourself a little ice cream sandwich!